Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lettuce Edge Shirt

 My daughter has more clothes than the rest of us put together, I think. But in the morning when I need to throw an outfit together for her, I can never find anything! Lately I've had trouble finding solid-color shirts for her patterned pants. So, while in the middle of very slow moving Christmas/holiday sewing which really requires all the time I have and more, I decided to make DD a shirt. =)

I have always wanted to try doing a lettuce (wavy) edge instead of a hem on the bottom of the shirt and on the sleeves. I've never done it before. So here was the perfect opportunity. A little flair on an otherwise very plain item of clothing. I did a Google search on waffle edge, ripple edge, wavy edge.... (sighs) Eventually a some links for lettuce edge appeared. Phew. My brain......

I first practiced on a scrap of knit fabric (you need a stretchy fabric to get the desired effect.) Good thing, too! My sewing machine ate the first few attempts. Yikes! I had been messing around with the stitch length and width without direction. Not good! I finally followed the advice on one link and set my stitch width to 3mm. I left the stitch length alone this time, and instead decided to follow the link's advice again and just stitch around the entire hem and each sleeve three times. (zig-zag stitch, with the zig on the fabric and the zag off the edge) I really like how it came out. Pic 2 is the hem, Pic 3 is one sleeve, and Pic 4 is the second sleeve, just for comparison. I have to say it felt utterly rebellious to stretch the heck out of the knit as I sewed. Anyone familiar with sewing knits knows that there's a definite learning curve. A lot of time is spent learning how to keep the fabric from stretching while you sew! So this was a little counter-intuitive, but it felt kinda good to go against the rules for a change! I'll post modeling shots when it's done.

Idea conceived yesterday, shirt finished today. I love that. =)









3 comments:

  1. Cool! You'll have to show me how you did it exactly. Did you try sewing it first and cutting it after? The three times around idea ia new to me and I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's either you make your stitch length very short and cover all the fabric in one turn, or you make the length longer and go around several times to cover everything. My machine did NOT want a short stitch length. I ended up with a nest of thread near the bobbin a few times in a row before accepting that it would not work that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Above Lettuce Edge Shirt tutorial story is nice.

    http://www.neevov.com also offers online plain lettuce edge high quality tees at nice price.

    ReplyDelete