Saturday, March 5, 2011

Moon Pads

 I decided to increase my stash of feminine hygiene products. I use (and far and away prefer) cloth. I'm starting with light-day "liners," so these are not waterproof. The mid-cycle pads are.

First, I needed a template. I made it to my own preferences for size and shape. I couldn't tell ya what the actual dimensions are, but I'll measure if anyone is interested. Don't forget the "wings" to keep it in place.


 I used terry cloth as the absorbent center. Two layers for a light-day pad. The inner pad is 2" x 7.5" There needs to be enough outer fabric around the inner pad for stitching. (Does that make sense?) I used flannel for the outside of the pad. Cut 2.











Stitch the terry cloth (or whatever your inner pad is made from) onto one side of the outer fabric.
 Then the two pieces of flannel get stitched RIGHT sides together, leaving a gap big enough to flip the piece right-side out. Top-stitch the hole closed (and all the way around if preferred.)
 Snap tools! I haven't done snaps in ages. These particular snaps, made from plastic, are junky and fall out easily. I am hoping that by putting them on very thin (two layer) wings they'll hold. But I wouldn't buy them again. They're also easy to smash with the snap pliers if not placed in it just right. Argh. Plastic snaps do well in the wash, though. I will give them that.
 All done. =) This took me about 45 minutes, but I was relearning a few things, so I took my time. More to come.
The snap. Functioning, at least for now. =)

I did a search after making this, and found an interesting tutorial for moon pads that involves making a pocket out of the outer fabric layers so that the inner pad is removable. I don't know that this system is any better than sewing it all together, but because it's different, I'm gonna try it. =) I'll post pics of that later.






#2














#3














#4 This one is made from fleece. It was begging to be used. Doubting the snaps will hold on this one, as it's thicker than the flannel. One can hope, though.











I'm pleased with tonight's efforts. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment