Monday, January 3, 2011

My New Toy!

 Ain't she purdy? =)

This is a Brother 1034D overlock machine. (serger) This was a Christmas present from hubby, and I love it. Like so many things, I'm discovering it is 1) complicated and 2) capable of doing far more than I realized. And 3) I may not be capable of making it do all of those things. lol. At least not neatly. But it's great fun to play with it.

It's quite different from a standard sewing machine. For one thing, when you come to the end of whatever it is you're sewing, you don't just pull the threads out behind the machine and cut them. On the serger, you continue to serge until there is a chain of stitches behind the machine, and you cut IT. I have had to retrain myself with that, and other things. Threading this machine is a little intimidating, though really this machine and it's manual make it quite straight forward. When I had a spool of thread run out, I was forced to rethread the entire machine, as just adding the one did not do the trick. It wouldn't stitch. I carefully followed the directions for threading, and the proper order (which is not something that could be guessed!) and it worked. Cool. But without that manual...... yipes. I guess like anything, it will become more familiar as I work with it. But with two needles and four spools of thread, it does get interesting... I wanted it so I could neaten up my work and make it look more professional. It really stitches beautifully! I can't wait to use it for something real. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment