Saturday, August 6, 2011

Otto (sort of) Top With Reverse Applique

I'm sharing this one in two places; here and under "Fall Wardrobe." I wanted to share how I'm doing the reverse applique on this one. First of all, I cut the pieces using pattern #25 from Ottobre magazine Autumn 4/2011. The other top I showed under "Fall Wardrobe" is cut from the same pattern. I like how it came together. As with that one, I don't have the wherewithall to put binding on the neckline and cuffs, but I'll make my own self fabric neckband and cuffs. Because I've chosen a deep purple for the top and a pretty patterned fabric with purple and hearts for the appliques, I decided to make the shape of the applique hearts as well. I thought it might be cute to put some on the sleeves as well as on the front. So far I've done one sleeve. I love how it came out!

My pictures aren't coming out too well today, but here's how the sleeves will basically look. I steam-ironed it before taking the photo which made a little "halo" around the hearts, but that will go away.














Another lousy photo, but I wanted to share the cute fabric I'm using for the reverse appliques. The top fabric is quite thin, like a jersey, and the bottom is a heavier knit, so I have to be careful when I stitch them together that one doesn't bunch. Surprisingly enough it's the thicker fabric that wants to bunch, but only just a tiny bit at the end of my stitching, after I've gone all the way around the heart. Steam ironing has solved that problem so far.



Here I've attached the raglan sleeves to the front.














 Without a steam iron, it would be impossible to sew with this fabric. It is very thin, and very stretchy. Sewing it, even with a much lengthened stitch length, means you end up with a wobbly seam. Steam takes it right out. Without the steam you'd end up with one wonky finished product!
 Inside-out. Raglan seams are done, now I need to make a collar and some cuffs.

 Right-side out. I love how the appliques look.
 The collar. Man this gave me a hard time. First I cut one that was way too small. So glad I tried it on DD's neck before sewing it on! I made another one, much bigger, and sewed it on backwards. Not kidding. This sort of space-brain thing happens to me more often than I'd like to admit. Finally got it right. It's a little looser than I would prefer, but I'm keeping it. Darn it. =)
 All done. The hem gave me some trouble, too. I don't have a cover stitch machine (want! want!) so I do hems on my regular machine. I stitched the hem with the bottom up. I do this so that I don't miss any of the fabric underneath. But I realize that this is not what you're supposed to do. Usually I get away with it. This time I didn't. The bobbin thread looked wonky at best on the outside of the shirt. I restitched it with the top side up, close to the other line of stitching (like a twin needle would do) then picked out all the wonky stitching. I was going to restitch that line, but then decided not to.
 Modeling shots. =)
One of these days I should learn how to take better pictures. =)

She likes it, I like it, another fall item done!

No comments:

Post a Comment